[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu May 19 15:23:04 EDT 2005

> What hasn't been shown is how running as non-root prevents the permanent
> LOSS OF DATA (the real value on a Desktop/laptop) any more so than
> running as root.
>
> Re-flashing the BIOS is minor to rebuilding past work.

How so?  A lack of a means of accessing the machine in a ready fashion would seem to me
to make it difficult to get to or access the data.  What if the data is fully intact,
but the bios isn't?  Are you telling me you would prefer to have to flash the bios than
to not have to flash the bios?  And this still doesn't address the potential for your
machine being used to cause mischief to others, irrespective of YOUR data.

--George

George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound