[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:02:25 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> That's odd. Even when I was using RedHat and Suse, I had longer
> install and config times than that. Perhaps you have a different view
> of "usable." For me and the original poster, I think "usable" means
> having installed and configured all programs that are needed on a
> daily basis.
>
> I am guessing your definition is more like: add the security features
> to the box (and install programs as needed). That's just a different
> point of view.

I never quoted install time.  Just post-install configuration.  And on a
user machine (e.g., my own personal box) I install as-I-go, on a server
machine, I plan it all out first, and make the installation, and go from
there.  The post-install configuration on a production server can take
anywhere from one hour to 12 hours, depending on what the server is for
and it's purpose in general, be it a fileserver for my network, or a
reliable failover server for something else entirely.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!