[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:54:46 EDT 2005

George Carless wrote:

> Why would you want to run a desktop as root?  This is just asking for
> trouble.  Unless you're going to spend the time with a fine-tooth comb
> to audit every piece of software that you run, there's no rationale for
> running as root.  Become root - or sudo - when you need to; the rest of
> the time, don't.  Otherwise, running as root without problems is just a
> matter of luck.  How you have things configured really doesn't make too
> much difference when a sleep-deprived session leads you to inadvertently
> rm -fR / ...

I once read a document that said something to the effect of not running
as root as it is bad.  And it made a comment somewhere in it stating
that it was a rite of passage to run 'rm -Rf /' as root sometime, and
that the results were quite enjoyable.  This was in 1996 and I'd not
encountered rm, nor spent 30 seconds to think about what rm could be.

That was the last time that I ran as root without needing to do so, lol,
because I've found myself typing that as a user, when terribly sleep
deprived.  Good thing I was my user and not root.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!