[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Wed May 18 16:16:24 EDT 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 14:00, you wrote:
> What you're missing is that an IT manager doesn't *CARE* the
> condition of your box.  He has guidelines under which you *will*
> work, not conditions under which you tell him you will work.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. First you seem to isolate the
"real world" as having to work for some company. I don't do that type of
work. I don't want that job. No one can tell me how to run any system - no
one will even hire me to do that type of work.

Next, you go to some OTHER set of circumstances that is not real world either.
What is real is MY computer, NOW. WTF?

> DEBIAN  INSTALL (no special bells and  whistles)
ASSUMPTION!!! Who among us runs a system with NO bells and whistles?
I specifically said that I had designed my box to be safe while running root.
To you, that is special. Moreover, I have several different non-traditional
security features. That should be fine . . . I'm running Linux. This is NOT
the rubber-stamp world like M$. It is "have it your way" LINUX.

> NETWORK CONNECTED (broadband or dialup will do just fine)
Yes.

> MULTI-USER (which all UNIX machines are by nature)
Sure.

> While we are a hobbyist list, our conversations revolve around how we
> can do something new or unfamiliar to us or how we can do some "new
> thing" in our work situations.

Wrong. Look back through this thread. I was even accused of being a pro system
admin. I think the list revolves around flamewars, system support, flamewars
and something else related to the nature of the fact that many posters are
professionals.

> If you want a *REAL, FAIR* test, then a neutrally located Intel
> system, fresh install Cd's, a real disk install, a few hours
> configuration time for you, and then delivery of the authentication
> information to those wishing to "crack" the system after your
> preparation is the only real test.

Nooooo. The real test is for me to offer up MY daily use system.
Even though I COULD do it quickly, it would be stupid for me to create some
special computer for you guys to crack at. That isn't real - what IS real is
the box I am sitting at right now - unless you are saying my box is not in
reality? Are you joking? Did I miss the sarcasm?

> ANYTHING other than real-world circumstances isn't worth the  time of
> your little exercise, as it does not apply to the original premise
> *or* debate.
> Jerald M. Sheets jr.

I did my best to give you guys ULTIMATE power so that it would encompass the
entire debate - more than the fact that I run this system now as root. I
tried to go farther than needed - rather than give you guys an excuse as to
why you couldn't defeat me.

You and I must have a clearly different view of reality. To me reality is NOW.
Step into Dell, M$, Redhat, or Nations Bank. Examine their CURRENT setup.
Step into my home (via LAN) and hack at my CURRENT setup.

Contriving some special box at a hacker convention is "not real" unless the
claim can be made that such setups are actually USED. What are you thinking?
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown