[ale] Linux Distributions

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 15:10:37 EDT 2005

> The bottom line is that there is absolutely no way that I could be
> convinced
> to run this system another way - and I realize that most others on
> this list
> feel the same about how they run their systems. Let it be.

No, the issue is that there are a lot of people smarter than any of
us who have said this is the way it is done, and you're flying in the
face of best practices.

I have fired a young admin for refusing to learn the habit.  I have
had colleagues of mine (that I liked very much) fired for it.  It is
*THAT* important out here in the wild.

As more and more "stuff" is released out there to attack UNIX users,
the more danger we incur by not adhering to best practices.

Aeleen Frisch
Dennis Ritchie
Douglas Kernighan
RMS
ESR
Doc Searles
Linus
CISSP
CCNA

All these (that I could readily google) have had something to say on
this matter at some point in the past, and they all disagree with
you.  (not agree with me,mind you)

It is not about us vs you, and it is not about "We're right and
you're wrong".

It is about helping you to understand what is expected by an
employer, and breaking bad habits that can come back and bit you on
the rump in work situations.  Ultimately, this comes down to us
helping each other.

I was fortunate enough to have an Internet community explain to me
what all this was about back in the 90's, and I am eternally grateful
to them for their instruction.  It has saved me loads of problems
since then.

Why don't you take it as the friendly instruction it was intended
as,  and understand that we are here to help each other, and the
BIGGEST thing we are trying to do is help.

Don't take it personally, it wasn't intended that way.

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
McKesson, Inc.
404.293.8762