[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:59:31 EDT 2005

Jason Day wrote:

> The first two items are trivial to setup, just add the user to the
> appropriate group.  The others, IMHO, should be run as root.  Mounting
> additional tmp space, adding users, configuring firewalls and loading
> kernel modules all count as privileged operations in my book.  But just
> because you need to become root temporarily to perform some operation is
> no excuse for running as root all the time.  It really is not hard to
> su, perform the operation, then exit.
>
> Jason

In addition, if you must do this often, you didn't plan your system out
well enough to begin with, before implmenting and installing it.  Then
again, you could get out of system planning at all by running on one
huge partition, but then you're bypassing even more protections that are
there for a very good reason.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!