[ale] [OT] I want to become a ham

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Wed May 18 11:53:10 EDT 2005

More than you ever wanted to know...

US Amateur callsigns all start with W, K or N (assigned by international
treaty)
The single digit was originally an indicator of the area of the US (4 is
the Southeast, 1 is New England, etc.) Nowadays the digit is irrelevant.
In the days of Morse code (CW), the shorter callsigns were obviously
more easily decipherable and therefore more desirable.
Shorter callsigns are usually an indicator of a higher license class or
greater longevity of callsign.
Usually they are randomly assigned, but with a higher license class you
are at the head to the line to get a "Vanity" call. I got W1DOC (for
obvious reasons) since W4DOC is owned by the Atlanta Radio Club.
73,
Brian, W1DOC