[ale] Linux Distributions

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:45:31 EDT 2005

I remember things quite well and I don't recall a single one of these
problems being posted to the ALE list. But, I also hardly ever read
your posts because you and I just plain disagree on about everything.
For instance, you are blaming problems on Debian because you can not
find people willing to work with someone who thinks that running as
root is a good thing when Debian is a _very_ security concious
distribution. The people that run Debian, and know what they are
doing, are also very security concious. When you tell them that you
won't listen to their suggestions is it little wonder that they will
not help you?

There is only ONE instance in which running as root is a "good thing"
-- when the machine isn't connected to a network and will never, ever,
be touched by anyone except yourself. Even then it is a bad idea for
reasons already stated by others on the list.

Sorry, but you have not given any information as to what is wrong in
_any_ of your problems. I did the best I could at 8:15 in the morning
with the information you gave us. If you really, truly, want help with
your problems you need to first learn to accept the answers and second
provide enough information to get the problems solved.

This is not a case of the Debian community being arrogant. No, it is
quite the opposite.