[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Tue May 17 13:03:21 EDT 2005

On Tuesday May 17 2005 07:20, James Sumners wrote:
> Those are actually six problems and none of them are really "Debian
> problems." Debian is not a distribution for those that need their hand
> held; that is what Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE are for. With Debian
> you are going to thave to do some work.

Perhaps I need my hand held. In this case, I would say so.
BUT, I would also say that you need to READ and/or grow a memory.

Originally, I had stated that these problems were problems that I had taken to
several installfests (here in Texas), that I had attempted to HIRE people to
fix (on Guru and Scriptlance) and worked on myself. Further, If I remember
correctly, I had also posted some (if not all of these problems) on this
list. I also kept a few notes on what was tried and suggested so that other's
could attempt to fix the problem without rehashing various solutions.

I consider this a Debian problem.
Here's WHY: When people are not beating on their chests to defend it and
blindly saying RTFM, OTHERS are not willing to work on the system BECAUSE it
is Debian. Of the remaining people, some are intimidated by the way I choose
to run the system.
While these issues may have been resolved more quickly in other distros, I sit
by waiting for someone who feels they are competent in Debian AND willing to
help rather than attack me for having the problem.

I must point out here, that not only have I encountered everything M$ claimed
I would - but I have gone farther: I sit personally attacked for having the
problem in the first place. In this case, I have a dozen people that I have
tried to fix these issues - and couldn't. In this case, the manual was read
several times - and on page four it said "Tell that one guy to STFU!"
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown