[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue May 17 16:15:56 EDT 2005

On Tuesday May 17 2005 13:21, Geoffrey wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > I am not going to have this "root" argument/flamewar on this thread.
> > There IS a case where one can run as root all of the time safely.\
[snip]
> In general, there is no reason to 'run as root all of the time,' safely
> or not.  Particularily in a workstation environment.
>
> > For those that understand that, probably already know how.
> > Those that don't usually cannot be convinced otherwise.
>
> I think I understand.

I think I have mentioned one of my issues to you before.
Being impatient, I would get into a habit of typing the "extra"
su -
password
. . .then type the command.

That didn't prevent me from wrecking my box - in fact, it made me more
impatient and careless. I got used to typing quickly and very sloppy in the
interest of "get it done now."

Because I run as root now, I have NOT experience the same problem.
I have not done an rm -rf / since I left Suse and went to Debian.

I have my system setup for other benefits as well.
Running as root just allows me to do whatever I want without typing an extra
command.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown