[ale] Linux Distributions

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 14:58:36 EDT 2005

There have been instances where an application install was able to
detect that I was not actually root and would not install.  In this
case I can understand.

I won't argue the  matter either.  Lots of people with many more
letters behind their name say it is the BEST practice to never run as
root.  I, therefore, (having no letters behind my name) decide to err
with the best and brightest in the country and do what they say.
These are the people who write the software (and in some cases wrote
UNIX) and have instructed me to do so.

You are certainly within your rights to ignore them.  This is not a
flamewar unless you make it so.

It is not a matter of being "convinced"  it is a matter that I have
been educated otherwise from EXTREMELY early in my career (nearly 20
years ago) that this is the way it is done, and MOST security
personnel, education firms, UNIX companies, etc. instruct to do so.
I'm just not willing to assume  I know better than them.

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
McKesson, Inc.
404.293.8762