[ale] Linux Distributions

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 15:21:26 EDT 2005

The only thing I can add to this is an anecdote...this has happened
to me twice in Interviews lately...

I have come into an interview, and after brief pleasantries the
interviewer (or a sit-in) has said "I researched you on Google and
have some questions about some of your technical positions"  and they
proceeded to ask me about why I did a certain technical thing a
certain way.  At another job.   5 years ago.

Now, imagine if you find yourself in an interview position in the
future, and the interviewer brings this technical issue up to you in
the interview, and asks "Why do you hold this technical position?
It's bad practice, you know?"

Will you

A) argue with him
B) stomp out thinking he's trying to start a flamewar
C) realize at that time that it's not craziness we're spouting

Interviewers  and potential employers read our "work" here on ALE and
whatever other lists we participate in, and your words can be used
against you in the  future in that next search for a  UNIX Admin job.

Given that the majority of UNIXdom holds the "don't run  as root"
view, howwill yo-u answer those questions  when they come?

Don't you think it's better we hash it all out here instead of being
blindsided in an interview with it?

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
McKesson, Inc.