[ale] Linux Distributions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue May 17 14:09:07 EDT 2005

Mark Schill wrote:
>  Greetings,
>  I have played around with Linux for many years, but I have always stuck
> with the big boys. IE Red Hat and SUSE. I know there are more distributions
> out there and wanted to get input on what the members of the linux community
> use and why.

SuSE 9.3 for my personal use, as I find it to be the best install, best
hardware recognition, good selection of software included.  Love YAST.

Red Hat 4 on my laptop for work, primarily because that's the target for
my client.  Too pricey for personal use in comparison to SuSE and Yast
kicks the foo out of the various Red Hat configuration/install tools.

Mandrake, not too much anymore, but I'm still a member of the Mandrake
club.  I find Mandrake is falling behind in quality in comparison to Red
Hat and SuSE.  Mandrake configuration and install gui beats Red Hat as
well though.

Slackware, when you want the smallest install footprint.  When you
really want to learn what Linux is all about. :)  When you want to build
your own kernels.

MandrakeMove with usb key.  A great way to work anywhere and save your
efforts.  Especially with my new 1gig usb drive. :)

I've played with Sun's Java workstation.  Not impressed.
--
Until later, Geoffrey