[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Tue May 17 03:18:35 EDT 2005

On Monday May 16 2005 09:03, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> What problems have you had with Debian?  I may be able to help.

1. Unstable browser.
The browser is extremely unstable and crashed dozens of times per day.
For example, if I go to www.kitco.com/market and then try to go to another
page, it will crash every time.

2. Reset mpu port to 300
In Suse it is easy to use Yast2 to reset the mpu port (for the midi device to
300). I think the default may be 330. I don't even know the name of a program
that can change that setting in Debian. I need to configure alsa to accept
midi input.

3. Fix Gnutella
I spend a lot of time as root, and do not want to switch to a separate user.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out how to 1. install Gnutella
in my version of Debian correctly 2. Get it to run in a root environment. Of
course Gnutella has an error message and will not run in root.

4. Get scanner working
I cannot get the scanner to work whatsoever. It looks like I am installing it
correctly, but . . .
I have used the scanner before with Suse. It is a Epson 610U. If I remember
correctly, I don't get an error for this problem at all.

5. Install IVTV driver
I want to play the VCR into the computer and capture video. The scary thing
about this problem is there are only a couple of people on the planet that
seem to have gotten it to work and of those, none have claimed to do it in
Debian.

6. Get noteedit to produce sound
There is a program that allows me to compose music - and it seemed really cool
for the little bit that I have used it. Unfortunately, after trying for a few
hours, I could not get it to sound.

Those are my four unsolvable problems with Debian. I'd be very grateful if I
could reduce the list. I must admit that since I have moved to Debian I have
experienced everything about Linux that M$ would claim would happen. On the
other hand, overall, I am extremely happy with the customized version I have.

I have had urges to move to Gentoo - but I keep reminding myself that there
won't be much help there (because some people think you have to be 733T to
use it and won't offer help). Besides, I have customized this system so much
- that it's worth keeping. I'd love it and it would meet all of my needs if I
could eliminate the items above. They are in order by priority.

If YOU can help me, I can point you to a file to download that will get the
system in *your* hands - that way you can try various solutions quickly.

I can also provide "journals" of the solutions that have been previously
attempted.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown