[ale] OT: U.S. National Identity Cards All But Law

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 10:26:18 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:57 +0000, aaron wrote:
> Yeah...  that would be the same party of thugs, thieves and frauds

Hate!  Don't be a hater.  Rise above the urge to spread hate.

> that just passed and signed a Georgia law requiring government issued
> Drivers License ID in order to exercise your right to vote.  The requirement
> is, of course, entirely redundant to the confirmation of voter identity
> and residency established through the existing, very thorough voter
> registration processes.

You can't do anything else in life without a drivers license.  Legally
you can't buy a beer, bank, go to the park, etc w/o a drivers license.

> Voting is a right, but driving is classified as a privilege. Drivers licenses
> can be revoked, denied and confiscated with no notice for a broad number of
> reasons, reasons which are very often the consequence of being among the
> poor, underprivileged or profiled minority classes of citizens.

Perhaps mandating the use of a drivers license for voting will help lift
the poor and underprivileged up to a respectable plateau. (note: I'm not
lumping minorities into the category of poor and underprivileged as
aaron does)

> The party of fraud

Hate!

>  is clearly out to disenfranchise as many of the less privileged
> citizens as possible, the citizens who are disproportionately blacks,
> hispanics, the elderly and minority groups. These are the groups that are
> more likely to vote for the citizen self interests of the common wealth than
> the obscenely wealthy special interests of the corporate welfare state.

That is really just your opinion, you can't possible provide substantive
data to back that up.  ;-)

> It may well be that removing the fingerprint data from Georgia driver licenses
> was nothing more than a tangential necessity for installing this latest
> method of Jim Crow voter suppression without having it instantly repealed
> under federal, civil rights related election restrictions that apply to
> southern states.

..and it may just as well not be.

-Jim P.