OT Re: [ale] Big Brother Wins, We lose... From /. Real-ID Passes U.S. Senate 100-0

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed May 11 12:27:30 EDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 11:33 AM, rhia wrote:

> So, true, it's not a REQUIREMENT, any more than the Mafia
> "requires" you
> to pay protection fees. But, if you want something from either, you
> have
> to participate in areas you probably would rather not go.

That is a poor analogy. The Federal government should be in a
position to decide which identification meets its acceptance
standards. It should not be required to accept any identification as
binding simply because a State deemed it acceptable within that
State's boundaries.

It is hypocritical to demand that States be allowed to produce
whatever identification they wish based on whatever requirements they
defined and have these accepted everywhere while refusing the Federal
government be allowed to require that specific identification meet
its requirements. So, they are not requiring the States do anything
more than they wish. It will require the citizens of that state to
secure other forms of identification if they choose to elect
officials who wish to not meet these _reasonable_ minimum requirements

On May 11, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Mike Murphy wrote:

> Arguing with me about this will be fruitless for those on the right
> anyway (and anyone on the left that agrees with it).

I prefer not to identify myself with either side, neither encompasses
my opinions.

> Driver's licenses should be just that: driver's licenses. They
> shouldn't be national id cards, anymore more that SSN's should be
> used for our natioinal id numbers for everything.

If driver's licenses should not be used for anything beyond a license
to drive, what form of identification to you propose for such events
where it is necessary to prove your identity?

For better or worse, State issued driver licenses have become the de
facto standard for identity verification. I see this bill as an
alternative to a national identification card, or any other form of
State issued identification card which would be necessary if the
driver's license were to only be used as a license to drive.

> REAL ID might be a good idea, but it doesn't matter, really, does
> it, since the ruling party allowed *no debate* on it in either
> house of congress.

Please read the legislation. Its very short and very terse in the
section concerned with identification. I think you'll see that there
is very, very little that should have spawned any sort of debate. As
it is now, all the objections I've heard have very little to do with
the actual legislation and more to do with overcoming FUD.

 From Schneier's comments:
"The REAL ID Act requires driver's licenses to include a "common
machine-readable technology." This will, of course, make identity
theft easier."

Many State issued IDs already do this. Texas does, I'm not positive
about the Georgia license as I've never cared about decoding it.
Also, the information included on your license is already a matter of
public record in many places. Unless they make the mistake of using
RFID as opposed to a magnetic stripe, they are still in a position of
physically stealing your ID, in which case they can just read your
identity information.

"REAL ID requires that driver's licenses contain actual addresses,
and no post office boxes. There are no exceptions made for judges or
police -- even undercover police officers."

Similarly, if someone is in a position to physically steal your ID,
then they most likely have access to other equally easy means of
finding out where you live.

"REAL ID also prohibits states from issuing driver's licenses to
illegal aliens."

Real ID does not prohibit the state from doing anything. The State
retains the right to issue a license to an illegal alien. It cannot
be used in Federal transactions.

"REAL ID is expensive."

Agreed. Funding is always an issue, but no one is strenuously
objecting to funding.