[ale] Unable to log on

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 31 19:57:49 EST 2005

1. press <alt> <f7> to get back to the X screen

If that doesn't work, try alt-f2 through alt-f9.

If _still no joy, run " ps ax | grep X11R6 "
If that return empty then X is no longer running.

You will need to be the root user at this point. Either logout and log
back in as root or run " su - " and enter the root password.

Now run " grep "id:" /etc/inittab " (you will need the ""'s around the
id: part)

if it says id:5:initdefault:  then run " telinit 5 "

otherwise you will need to edit the /etc/inittab file and change the
line so it reads as above. It might be set to be id:3:initdefault: which
will not start Xwindows. to launch it from the command line run "
startx".