[ale] new monitor

David Fitzhenry dfitzhenry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 07:23:21 EST 2005

Verify the VertRefresh and HorizSynch.. they are usually a range:
 HorizSync       31-79
 VertRefresh     60-75

I've also tried just commenting out those two specific settings, and
usually end up with the lowest refresh for the given screen
resolution...

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:23:25 -0800 (PST), Orri Rail
<orrimaxrail at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I got a new 20" dell 2001fp monitor which I can't use
> in the default 1600x1200 at 60hz resolution.  The video
> card is nvidia fx5200.  It works perfectly with win
> xp.
>
> If i put the following correct sync rate in the
> monitor section of xorg.conf :
>
> Section "Monitor"
>   HorizSync    75
>   Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
>   ModelName    "1600X1200 at 60HZ"
>   Option       "DPMS"
>   VendorName   "--> LCD"
>   VertRefresh  60
> EndSection
>
> then X won't start and comes with this error :
>
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> configuration.
>
> "Fatal server error:
> no screens found "
>
> Changing the the sync rate to "HorizSync 31-80"
> launches X, but only in 1024x768 resolution.
>
> Here's my Device section in xorg.conf
>
> Section "Device"
>   BoardName    "GeForce FX 5200"
>   Driver       "nvidia"
>   Identifier   "Device[0]"
>   Screen       0
>   VendorName   "NVidia"
> EndSection
>
> The Xorg.0.log writes out :
> "(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode "1600x1200" is larger than BIOS
> programmed panel size of 1024 x 768.  Removing."
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been fiddling
> with this for the last week.  (I've tried adding
> modelines, but nothing works).
>
> I'm running Suse 9.2
>
> thanks,
> Orri