[ale] new monitor

Orri Rail orrimaxrail at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 01:29:35 EST 2005

I got a new 20" dell 2001fp monitor which I can't use
in the default 1600x1200 at 60hz resolution.  The video
card is nvidia fx5200.  It works perfectly with win
xp.

If i put the following correct sync rate in the
monitor section of xorg.conf :

Section "Monitor"
  HorizSync    75
  Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
  ModelName    "1600X1200 at 60HZ"
  Option       "DPMS"
  VendorName   "--> LCD"
  VertRefresh  60
EndSection

then X won't start and comes with this error :

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration.

"Fatal server error:
no screens found "

Changing the the sync rate to "HorizSync 31-80"
launches X, but only in 1024x768 resolution.

Here's my Device section in xorg.conf

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "GeForce FX 5200"
  Driver       "nvidia"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "NVidia"
EndSection

The Xorg.0.log writes out :
"(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode "1600x1200" is larger than BIOS
programmed panel size of 1024 x 768.  Removing."

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been fiddling
with this for the last week.  (I've tried adding
modelines, but nothing works).

I'm running Suse 9.2

thanks,
Orri