[ale] Ubuntu permissions and access

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Jun 27 13:23:24 EDT 2005

Courtney Thomas said:
> I just downloaded Ubuntu 5.04 live CD and booted it up and find that the
> permissions differ from the defaults on Suse or Mandrake for example.
>
> Almost everything I try to do asks for passwords then denies access
> after I type in the password I supplied on bootup.
>
> What th.....  ?

Ubuntu by default handles root access needs by sudo.  In fact, the root
account is disabled unless you issue a "sudo password" to give it a
password.

So, when it prompts you for a password, it's actually prompting you for
your own user's password.  If that's not working for you, there're bigger
problems afoot.

HTH,
John