[ale] OT: BestBuy PSP

Jonathan Chum jchum at aismedia.com
Wed Jun 15 17:04:37 EDT 2005

I worked for CompUSA a couple of years ago and I know with the extended
warranty on PDAs, if you broke the screen, you'll get a new one of the exact
same model because they couldn't fix it. If they did not have one, they
would get the next comparable model at the same price you bought yours
originally. Laptops were also exchange, but I'm not sure what the condition
the managers exchanged it for since it's rather difficult to break the
laptop's screen unless you spilled coffee all over it.

Warranty is the highest marked-up item in the store because it's relatively
free for the store to save your contact information in a database. Most
people loose their warranty information on don't know about loop holes such
as the one described above. That's why these companies are making a killing
by pushing warranty.

CompUSA sales people are paid on both commission and TAP (Technology
Assurance Plan). The sales guy will pocket anywhere between 10-20 dollars
depending on the warranty plan.

At first I was against buying into any warranty plan, including my HP hx4705
PDA, but I figure that in 2 years, there will be a new model that my extra
100 dollar investment will pay for itself just in case. Or I decide to break
it by accident for a new one before the warranty is up *grins*.