[ale] annoying, unknown X crash - only when laptop lid is closed.

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Wed Jun 8 12:15:53 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:09 pm, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> I don't know what to tell you, honestly.  I do not use the ACPI features
> to run any scripts when I close my lid.  My screen turns off
> automatically on my laptop (IBM ThinkPad T41).

Well, mine did too....it just started crashing recently :-)

Anyway, I changed /etc/acpi/lid.sh to contain this:

-------------------------- lid.sh ------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

getXuser;

grep -q closed /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
if [ $? = 0 ]
then
        su $user -c "(xscreensaver-command -throttle && xscreensaver-command
-lock)"
        xset dpms force off
fi

and it no longer crashes. It appears to be something in the default lid.sh
that ran when the lid was shut that was crashing, not sure what, but at least
it's not crashing anymore.

-Jay