[ale] OT: _vti_bin/owssvr.dll

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 18:04:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:17 -0400, Jay Loden wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, it's because of Frontpage Extensions. If you
> remove them from your Apache install, it supposedly goes away.

There is not FP extensions on that site, those errors just show up in
the log files.  So far, the consensus is that these are valid/legit
requests from IE browsers that have MS Office extensions enabled.  These
extensions are checking to see if the webserver supports MS extensions
(including FP presumably) However, in the past, there was some
hacks/cracks for owssvr.dll so webservers are unable to determine if the
request is an innocent user or an attempt to hack something that doesn't
exist.

-Jim P.