[ale] Linspire experience and problems

pras at cycloeastern.com pras at cycloeastern.com
Tue Jun 7 17:33:11 EDT 2005

Confession- I am a RPM/TAR ball user. I don't know dpkg or apt-get.

I friend of mine bought a $100 machine from Microcenter with Linspire on it and
is thrilled with the Linux tools.

He could not get his webcam working and wanted me to look at it. I tried to see if
it had xawtv, v4l or digicam. It had none of the above. So I tried to see if I could
install it.

RPM tool was present, but there was no rpm database. I also found dpkg and apt-get. There
was NO gui/text base software install tool. Everything seems be a membership based
download service. Even the free stuff.

I thought, what the heck and downloaded digicam tar.gz, only to notice that this did not have a
C compiler !

Now I am convincing my friend to go to Mandrake.

Does anyone have any experience with Linspire ?

Prasanna Subash            | What!?  Me worry?   -- Alfred E. Newman
pras at cycloeastern.com      |