[ale] harddrive errors

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jun 5 10:34:30 EDT 2005

1. Did you replace the IDE cable with a brand new, un-mangled one? IDE
cables have very fine wires that can't take being bent around much. The
80 wire cables are quite fragile. They feel stiff mostly because of the
insulation. I believe the wire inside are around 30 gauge.

2. Is the box maxed out for the power supply? In other words, do you
have a P4 2+GHz and dual hard drives on a 250 watt PS? I have learned
the hard way that a PS rated for X Watts usually can only RELIABLY
supply 0.8X W. The occasional burst to max load on CD spin up, etc is OK
as long as you get lucky and have no critical functions happening
simultaneously.

3. If the above situations are resolved it's a bad drive.

I have found (for data recovery purposes only) that adding extra cooling
on a drive with DriveReady Seek errors can help keep it running long
enough to back off needed data. But as soon as it is done, pull the
drive and break off the power socket with a hammer. Unless it's one of
the IBM drives that have readily replaceable controller boards (the
boards go bad long before the drive do so parts swap is useful) there
really isn't much that can be done with out a clean room.

I don't have a clean room.

Yet.  ;)