[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Jun 3 00:14:46 EDT 2005

On Thursday June 02 2005 22:10, Geoffrey wrote:
> Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> > It seems in your argument(s), in order to "debunk" Debian, you brought
> > in 3 Distros, RH, SuSE, and Slackware. Seems kinda weak don't you think?
>
> I'm not trying to debunk Debian.  Even the Debian developers acknowledge
> that their release timing needs to change.

I think LESS of Debian now - AFTER reading the "defense" for using it.

1. Platforms? Small footprint? Old Hardware? No change?
None of that interests me . . . or anyone with a few dollars.
I wonder what the cost analysis would show: Is it better to use Debian on old
or obscure hardware, or simply change the hardware? (I don't know)

2. The Dr. Jekyl, (stable) Mr. Hyde (unstable/testing) argument is weak.
Seems like it would be better to roll your own distro and skip the psychotic
mentality altogether. That way YOU determine the release date and YOU can
test to see what is stable and what isn't and YOU can create a single "stable
and secure" operating system. Starting with "Linux."

3. The Debian Defenders aren't turning the negatives into positives very well.
Debian doesn't need "debunking" - it has it's fan club's defenses.

4. I'm running a variant of a variant of a variant of a variant of Debian
(with inspiration from other variants) and at this point, I kinda wish I had
stuck with Gentoo (even though other users were intimidated by it).

5. One thing we can all agree on is that Debian has improved the Linux
community tremendously . . .
. . . not just because of Knoppix, but because it inspired Gentoo! :)
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown