[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jun 1 19:56:57 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com said:
> You'll be able to install "anything" on "any" Linux machine - and even
> make it
> "stable." Waiting around for releases isn't the "Linux way" anyway.

Perhaps it's not your "Linux way", and I'll admit that 50% of the software
I typically run is compiled from source.  But having a deep, well managed,
well tested and oft-updated repository of packages at hand is a great time
saver.   I don't want to compile every service on the box by hand if I can
help it...only those I know I need to tweak in very certain ways.

But of course you are right -- I technically can install "anything" on any
distro I choose.