[ale] Linux & USB Wi-Fi adapters?

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Sat Jul 23 19:18:53 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:41:30AM -0400, Mike Fletcher wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2005, at 9:30 AM, Eric Webb wrote:

> > I have an embedded project that I'm working on where I would like
> > to use a USB
> > Wi-Fi adapter (b or g, I don't care)...  I remember reading that
> > support for
> > these tends to be a problem as some chipset mfrs will not release
> > details.
> > Is anyone aware of one that works?

> I've had no problems with two different Linksys WUSB11 models (an
> older big chunky one and the newer slimmer one with the swivel
> antenna).  It's 802.11b (11), but you can find them cheap if you look
> (I just got another from BestBuy for 52$ with 45$ in rebates).
Watch out about rebates offered at BestBuy.  I didn't get my $50
rebate and when I went back to BestBuy, they said "Don't bother us,
go hassle with the [dishonest] manufacturer."  I took their advice
and won't bother with BestBuy again.

Frys and MicroCenter seem far more honest.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"