[ale] ALE FTP Server

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 21:23:58 EDT 2005

On 7/15/05, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > Recently it has seemed to me that the ALE FTP server is running slower
> > than before.
> >
> > Today I finally got around to upgrading a couple of my machines to SUSE 9.3
> >
> > I was very surprised to the the ALE FTP server shown as one of the 5
> > main US update sites.
> >
> > Considering the size of SuSE 9.3s online update and number of 9.3
> > users, could the load be slowing down data transfers?
> >
> > If that is the case, should we consider trying to get Novell to take
> > ALE FTP off the list, or at least make it a secondary site.
>
> I always use the ALE server and I've not seen this slowness.  Just
> completed two installs a couple of weeks ago.  Is this more recent then
> that?

I'm pretty sure I first noticed post July 4, so yes more recent than that.

Tonight I upgraded 2 machines to SuSE 9.3 then ran YOU to get all the
lastest patches.

I had one pull from gatech. and one pull from ale.

The gatech one did fine.  The ale one has been pulling for an hour and
half and is still only at the 28% mark.  (I think at 50% it quits
pulling patches and starts installing them, so it is not quite as bad
as it seems.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer