[ale] Otish - Network Setup Fee Questions

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 13:49:35 EDT 2005

I've done maintenance on stuff like this in the past, and was paid $500 over
three 3-4 hour visits. To set it up from scratch, I'd probably charge that
much for just the first visit, presuming I can get it all done in one trip.

So, I'd start at $500 plus equipment, depending on how complicated the
network is.

WMM

On 6/30/05, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:

> Bob Toxen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:16:26AM -0400, I. Herman wrote:
> >>All --
> >>I'm trying to get an average idea of what everyone would charge to go in
> and
> >>set up a small office.
> >
> >>What would you all charge per hour to set up ONLY the networking side of
> >>small business office (about 10 computers). This would include the
> router,
> >>wireless, and PC configuration as well as any firewalling.
> > Call up some other companies and find out what THEY charge. This can
> vary
> > a LOT. Be sure to have a contract that spells out what will and won't be
> > done and says something about liability for errors, payment terms, etc.
>
> I've checked into this recently. Geek Squad, MicroCenter and there's
> another I can't recall off hand. Both Geek Squad and 'forgotten'
> company charge in excess of $200/hour for such services. Microcenter
> charges for the service in most cases, not by the hour, but they are
> still pretty high if you consider what you get for the money.
>
> I suspect many of these folks will be lowering their prices in the
> future, once it all shakes out. Another issue is that the people
> employed to provide these services lack any real knowledge, but simply
> operate like phone support folks for large computer companies. They
> operate from a script. If something doesn't fit the script, they either
> can not do it, or the price is jacked substantially for that service.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s