[ale] centos

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 01:11:40 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 18:15 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 22:47 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> >
> >>I did a quick look on their site but didn't find the answer to this: Is
> >>it safe to assume that for a non-desktop install all I would need is the
> >>one server iso?
> >

> > To answer my own question, Yes, you only need the one iso image if you
> > are only installing a server version of Centos.  (Very cool)
> >
> > The only thing that complaint I have, and it is minor, is that the
> > server version installed some gnome stuff (bonobo) Yuck!
>
> 'rpm -e' is your friend. :)

Actually it was: rpm -e portmap nfs-utils ypbind fam gnome-vfs2 yp-tools
redhat-config-nfs libgnome libbonoboui gnome-python2-bonobo libgnomeui
gnome-python2 redhat-config-httpd redhat-config-bind
redhat-config-services redhat-config-network redhat-config-packages cups
redhat-lsb redhat-config-printer redhat-config-printer-gui at mdadm apmd

Why the heck all that is needed for an internet server install is beyond
me (not really).  I guess that RH/Centos just throw cups and portmap/nfs
stuff in there in the rare case that someone wants to build an NFS or
printer server.  I would think that the likelihood is greater that when
some installs the server version they DON'T want cups, portmap/nfs as
well as apmd.  Really, what the heck good is apmd on a server?

-Jim P.