[ale] OT Speedfactory Problems Anyone?

M Raju protocoljunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:30:18 EST 2005

I use SpeedFactory at home and also two additional circuits at work
for DMZ purposes. They all went down yesterday, but seem to be
available at the moment. According to SpeedFactory support, they are
having "problems" with the upstream provider (probably BellSouth if I
am not surprised or maybe Qwest?).

PPPoE simply sucks no matter how you look at it. SpeedFactory does not
use timeouts on their RADIUS servers, like BellSouth does, hence the
ability provide anyone "guaranteed" uptime and static IPs.  According
to Darryl at SpeedFactory, PVC provisioning is much costly to them,
compared to PPPoE with no timeouts which provides a pseudo dedicated
circuit to customers...

As far as performance goes, I recently switched from userland to
in-kernel PPPoE on my OpenBSD Firewalls. This seemed to have helped a
little...

_Raju

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:51:04 -0500, Raylynn Knight
<audilover at speedfactory.net> wrote:
> When did Speedfactory start using PPPOE crap.  I'm pretty sure my link
> is not using PPPOE (unless they're handling it in the DSL Modem).  Or
> does the fact that I pay for multiple static IP's keep me from suffering
> from PPPOE usage?
>

> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 13:08 -0500, Greg wrote:
> > Per a call to Speedfactory it was a BellSouth problem with all PPPOE users -
> > Earthlink as well as Speedfactory.
> >
> > Greg

May the packets be with you.