[ale] comcast static IP?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 22 21:37:38 EST 2005

George Carless wrote:
>>**  "dis-service persons" <-- I see you share that very same attitude
>>problem.  Perhaps the resolution of a technical problem is being held
>>hostage by an attitude problem.  Customer service is a two-way street.
>>No CSR likes an a**hole for a customer, just like no customer likes an
>>a**hole for a CSR.  When either delves to that level, the onus is on the
>>other to move on and get over it so that the *real* problem can be
>>solved.
>

> What's with the apologism?  The CSR is being *payed to do a job*, and
> frankly I couldn't care less if someone I speak to when I'm unhappy
> about a service doesn't like my 'attitude'.  The onus is NEVER on the
> customer; it is always on the company and on its representatives.
> Now, of course it is often helpful and prudent to be polite to
> people--but, nonetheless, I tire of the attitude that seems so
> prevalent in the USA that it's okay for customer service people to be
> rude, flip, unhelpful.  And when they *are* those things, people
> should vote with their wallets and take their money elsewhere; and,
> furthermore, there's nothing wrong with telling other people about
> the poor service that has been experienced, so that those people can
> avoid having problems of their own.

Well Said George.  Further, when I discuss a problem with a company, I
am looking for a solution first.  I'm not calling to complain, I'm
calling to get a solution.  Further, if the person begins to get angry,
upset or frustrated, I explain to them that it's nothing personal.  They
are a representative of that company, therefore, I'm talking to the
company, not to the individual.

>>Ok, you indicated you might leave BellSouth, what kind of "customer"
>>response do you expect at that point?  What can you possibly expect for
>>paying a few lousy dollars per month?
>

> If people are paying money for a service--and 'a few lousy dollars
> per month' from thousands of people adds up to a lot of money--they
> have every right to determine for themselves what level of service
> they feel they have a right to expect, and I find it frankly rather
> rude, and quite baffling, that you should be arguing that their
> complaints are misplaced because, what, they're only paying a
> relatively small amount of money?  Now, it is fair to say that
> the consumer *can* sometimes have unrealistic expectations of what he
> or she is getting, failing to read the fine print and the terms of
> service etcetera.  But this should not be seen as an excuse for
> companies to treat the customer rudely; and if they do, they should
> not be surprised if the customer leaves them.  I think businesses in
> America could and should do a lot more in the way of training their
> customer representatives; I suspect that people *do* care about good
> service, and I think that bad attitudes cost companies money.

Again, I agree.

>>>5. I recently had a client move to a new location.  BellSouth screwed up
>>>one of their voice lines when setting up the dsl.  At the time, that
>>>line was their connectivity to the internet.  Dial tone gone, no
>>>internet.  The next BellSouth tech told me that who ever tried to setup
>>>the dsl was an idiot (his words).  He'd swapped the trans./rec. and had
>>>left some hardware completely out of the dslam.  He said it would never
>>>have worked.
>>
>>That problem isn't unusual, nor unique to you, BellSouth, nor DSL.
>

> And so shouldn't be addressed?
>

>>At some point you wind up getting labeled as a perpetual complainer.  Be
>>known for something better than that.
>

> As an apologist for poor service?  As a fool who will accept
> ill-treatment because "that's just how it is"?  Monopolies are a
> problem because they don't give people much of a choice; but we
> should still be willing to stand up and complain when problems do
> occur--and, sadly, I think that many of these companies are poorly
> run, provide a poor service, and get away with it because there is no
> viable alternative.

Again well said.

--
Until later, Geoffrey