[ale] comcast static IP?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 22 21:30:05 EST 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 14:52 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>1. When my 2nd line went dead, I contacted BellSouth and was told it
>>would be fixed in 3 days.  What kind of service is that?
>

> Standard service response time.  Read your paperwork.

When it's their mistake, I think not.

>>Further, it
>>turns out that a technican had screwed it up while working with other
>>services, yet they did not expedite repairing the problem they caused.
>
> That is not standard service, although it does happen and it is not
> unique to BellSouth or the telecommunications industry.  Drive-through
> fast food restaurants (a place where a lot of people obviously spend
> more per month then they do on their phone bill) routinely experience
> service delivery problems.

Great comparison.  There's a difference in the (supposed)
educational/training level there.  The burger turner's getting what,
minimum wage?  The BS tech is making $30/hr or more.  If a plumber
screws up, you've got water on the floor, if a Doctor screws up, you die.

>>2. BellSouth constantly get's in the way of other providers, whether
>>it's local service or dsl.  This is not competitive, it is
>>anti-competitive.  They are the reason you can't get dsl without a
>>dialtone via Speedfactory.
>
> Are they doing something illegal?  If so sue them.  If not, you really
> have no grounds for complaint.

Right.  You know anything about large corporations?  You think they
always play by the book?  You think I'm going to waste my time sueing
them?  I'm doing what I can as a consumer, I'm getting the word out
about their lousy service.

Oh, and I do have grounds to complain, because, guess what?  I'm their
customer.

>>3.  I've often (as in > 10 times) caught BellSouth Techs using my 2nd
>>phone line to place calls when in the field.  I was told that this is a
>>common practice.  Further I caught one guy talking trash to his girl.  I
>>was told that they'll pick a 2nd line since it's assumed it's a fax or
>>something.  Doesn't matter if you're expecting a call or something now
>>does it?
>
> Whose wire is it?  Sure you might have rented a service from them, but
> the reality is that you don't own those wires.  Again, read your service
> contract.  Need a dedicated line?  Get a leased line.

Oh, so your landlord can come into your apartment and sleep on your bed
when he wants to. Sure, he can come in and fix a leaky pipe. It's not
the same thing. I'm paying for a service.

>>4. When contacting BellSouth for service I received the same attitude
>>from the cust. dis-service persons.
>

> **  "dis-service persons" <-- I see you share that very same attitude
> problem.  Perhaps the resolution of a technical problem is being held
> hostage by an attitude problem.  Customer service is a two-way street.
> No CSR likes an a**hole for a customer, just like no customer likes an
> a**hole for a CSR.  When either delves to that level, the onus is on the
> other to move on and get over it so that the *real* problem can be
> solved.

You're making an assumption based on my complaints about BellSouth.
Call Speedfactory, ask for Darryl and ask him about my dealings with
them.  You'll find I do appreciate good service.  I left a 25% tip this
evening at the restuarant we ate at, because we received good service.
I do that routinely.  I'll also leave 10 or less when it's warranted.
We ate at a local Waffle House Christmas morning.  I left a $50 tip for
a $20 meal.  Why?  Because I received good service and the poor woman
was working Christmas Day.

I appreciate you labeling me an asshole based on your limited knowledge
of me.  So what shall I call you?

>>In two different situations, I made
>>the comment that I did not think that they were cust. oriented and that
>>I might consider taking my business elsewhere.  Both responded in the
>>same way, offering to assist me disconnect my service.
>

> Ok, you indicated you might leave BellSouth, what kind of "customer"
> response do you expect at that point?  What can you possibly expect for
> paying a few lousy dollars per month?

What options do I have?  So what do you do when you get lousy service,
you just keep paying the bill I guess. I guess I'd rather be an asshole.

I just received a refund for over $300 for service done on my truck that
was not necessary.  I called them on it, did my research and backed it
up with information from another mechanic.  According to you, I
shouldn't have done that because it apparently doesn't matter if you get
lousy service.  You're supposed to be a good little customer and suck it up.

>>5. I recently had a client move to a new location.  BellSouth screwed up
>>one of their voice lines when setting up the dsl.  At the time, that
>>line was their connectivity to the internet.  Dial tone gone, no
>>internet.  The next BellSouth tech told me that who ever tried to setup
>>the dsl was an idiot (his words).  He'd swapped the trans./rec. and had
>>left some hardware completely out of the dslam.  He said it would never
>>have worked.
>

> That problem isn't unusual, nor unique to you, BellSouth, nor DSL.

Man you are full of the excuses.  You work for BellSouth?  Got a bunch
of BellSouth stock?  What is it with you.  Even the 2nd Bellsouth Tech.
said the guy screwed up.

>>Need more?  Incompetence, arrogance, customer dis-service and a local
>>monopoly that acts like one.
>

> See ** comment above.
>
> At some point you wind up getting labeled as a perpetual complainer.  Be
> known for something better than that.

Yeah, and no one likes a know it all either Jim.  You've got an answer
for everything.  Further, I will suggest that you research the times
I've posted kudos regarding vendors.  Let's see, Speedfactory, Monarch
Computers, Bob Toxen, Emperor Linux, SuSE.  Oh, wait, I've been bad
mouthing Red Hat of late, I must be an asshole.

You can not make an assessment on my personality based on a subset of
posts to this list.  You're making a mistake.

The problem is Jim, that for some reason you've come to the conclusion
that you want to give me a hard time.  As far as I'm concerned you can
save your further posts regarding mine as I'll not respond.

--
Until later, Geoffrey