[ale] Hylafax and Vonage

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 19 21:17:53 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 20:59 -0500, Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> OK, I have been thinking about this today and I am just confused.
> Vonage is by definition a VOIP phone service with zero depeandancy
> on a physical POTS line. Faxing & Hylafax are by definition services
> that deal with faxes occuring across a actual hardwired POTS line
> and a regular dial-up modem. Now once the system running Hylafax
> picks up the modem line and accepts the fax there may be some IP
> traffic but other than that I am just puzzled how a VOIP service could
> be affecting or even interacting with a fax modem that should unless
> I am misunderstanding things be connected to a POTS line.

It's a sampling problem. VOIP does not sample voice at the same rate as
the POTS line does. Running an all-analogue device over a digital
carrier can "look" like watching a pc monitor that was taped by a video
camera. It just doesn't sync up right. Running analogue fax over VOIP
like Vonage (and CBeyond where I first ran into this problem) requires a
sample rate compatible with fax data rates. Some integer multiple of fax
speed is required or else there is frame drops and/or broken frame data
fields. On the far end of this there is now a very confused fax machine.

Voice data over the fax line will sound different using VOIP. POTS
doesn't care since it's all the same stuff to it.