[ale] Hylafax and Vonage

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Jan 19 21:15:52 EST 2005

    Your understanding about the connections is correct but fax signals,
especially higher speed ones, are far less forgiving of timing issues
than a person's natural voice recognition. So when there is any packet
delay or stutter, that will make a fax lose sync real easy. Throwing
more bandwidth (using the highest setting) and guaranteed response times
(putting the vonage modem in front of other traffic) helps tremendously.
The dependency is still in the analog audio signal that the fax hardware
is using to transmit its information. Would be nice if someone had a
VOIP fax that was out-of-band all the way until it got to the other
end's connection. Closest thing I've seen is email!

    Ben Scherrey