[ale] My Next Computer

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jan 17 09:54:33 EST 2005

Pete Hardie wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:47:13 -0500, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
>

>>I don't know that you would want to go that route for your drives as well.
>
> Well, that's also partly driven by my wish to have easy-to-move drives
> for my system and the wife's.
>
> As an aside, if I want a disk drive for general storage of MP3s and
> pictures, accessible from linux and M$, what's a good filesystem to
> use?  NTFS?  FAT?  Or are there ext{2|3} format readers for Windows?

What happened to world domination???

I have an external usb/firewire drive that is 160g, I've seen the same
model in a 250g.  You'll likely end up going with fat if you want
writeability from both Linux and windows.

>>>So is this just a pipedream, or is an all-USB system possible ?
>>
>>I think the most difficult problem you'll have is getting it to boot off
>>of a usb device.
>

> Good point.  I thought I had seen something inidcating that "modern"
> BIOSes could do this - in reference to a USB flash drive boot tool.

I've wanted to test this in the past as I've seen usb drives show up
during Linux installs, but haven't had the time to play with it.

--
Until later, Geoffrey