[ale] GNOME Journal article: The Liberal Arts Major Test

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Jan 14 09:38:43 EST 2005

Good link and article. Thanks for noting it.

>From experiences setting up my daughter with Mandrake, I think the "average"

high school and early college students are our best target demographic for
switching to Linux.  At that stage of growing we are all more open minded,
receptive to change and more likely to appreciate the advantages in system
control, customization and flexibility that Linux offers. The main hard to
switch exceptions are specialty app fans like hard core computer gamers who
demand the latest releases and drivers for the bleeding edge hardware.

After her first semester at college, my daughter is still very happy with her
Mandrake box and the Linux / OSS apps, and is accepting of the fact
that her sometimes her system won't  support the same things that the latest
Main$tream, commercial supported systems do.

Her biggest complaint is not finding a spread sheet as complete and well
designed as M$ ex-hell.  She uses Open Office for other apps, but is not
happy with the spread sheet area.

Anyone know of Linux based Spread Sheet alternatives that honestly meet or
surpass the M$ ex-hell offering?

peace
aaron