[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 22:39:00 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 19:49 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Ditto on the Speedfactory.

Speedfactory gets a lot of kudos here, but aren't they really just a
middleman for a DSL line that goes directly from your house/business to
BellSouth?  I understand that SF may provide some pop3/smpt/www/dns
servers other than those provided by BS, but your next statement seems
to suggest that you don't need these.

> I deplore any ISP that requires me to use their POP3 and SMTP servers rther
> than my own (I use Yahoo Mail and pay for the privilege).

I use Yahoo too (obviously), so why do you need POP3 and SMTP ports open
on your upstream network?

-Jim P.