[ale] AGP card slot issues, again

Richard ratcheson at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 7 19:22:59 EST 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 11:50 am, Pete Hardie wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> After a bit of research, I've settled that it *is* an AGP slot on the
> mobo of my daughter's computer, and I have an AGP video card, but as I
> mentioned in another message, the AGP card will not fit in the slot,
> because the slot is the kind not intended to hold a card at the edge
> of the board, and the card *is* that type.
>
> So I'm looking for an AGP card riser with a right-angle bend.  I've
> determined that such beasts exist, and that there are 2 types, one
> bending each way.
>
> I've found them on Ebay for $22 plus $7 shipping, and Fry's had one
> for $45.  ANyone know of someplace in Atl that might caryr such a
> thing for a bettre price?

Are you aware that there are different agp slots for a reason?   The older
slots are for earlier cards and have different voltages for those cards.
The later cards use lower voltages, IIRC, and if you can force one of
those into an old slot, you may have some smoke at worst or simply a dead
card from then on.

Bottom line, check your mobo specs and be sure they match your AGP card.

Richard
--
Old age ain't for Sissies!