[ale] launching apps to specific desktops?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 6 21:15:04 EST 2005

Jay Loden wrote:
> I (finally) helped my best friend get off Windows and onto Linux.  He's big
> into having stuff launch at startup on his machine, and I've never done this
> on Linux.  We sorted out how to use the ~/.kde/Autostart folder to launch a
> script that does what he wants, except for one detail.  He would like to
> launch app "foo" onto Desktop 1 and app "bar" onto Desktop 2, for example.
>
> Does anyone know how (if) this can be accomplished from a script?  Is this
> something that can be set, like DISPLAY ?
>
> It's a Mandrake 10 system, if that makes any difference (you never know).

Doesn't kde have the ability to save your startup state?  If so, simply
place your windows where you want them, save the state and you should be
good.

I don't know about kde, but under enlightenment you can place a window
on a virtual desktop by simply specifying the proper geometry.  If the
desktop is to the right of the current, you specify something like:

xterm -geom +1300+10

Assuming your resolution is 1024x768, the xterm will be 276 pixels from
the left of the second screen.

For regular desktops, the only way I know to do it is to pass a sequence
to the server so that it switches to the desktop you want the app to run
on and then start the app.  It's ugly, a lot of popping between
desktops, but it works on enlightenment.

--
Until later, Geoffrey