[ale] Get this, guys...

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 11:21:11 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:33:08 -0800 (PST), Jerald Sheets
<jsheets at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't have to.  I make more.
>
> "get Used to it" is a perennial problem that folks in
> our industry need to remove from their vocabulary.

Seems like I mentioned something along these lines last week during
the H1B debate. Artificially driving salaries up based on pure
unbridled greed is exactly what leads to periods of unemployment and
the flood of immigrant workers. Feel free to take your shots at these
companies, but understand that one day they might swing back and send
you and half your peers to the unemployment line. Then that 40k will
look pretty good. I'm not speculating on any one person's worth. That
obviously varies from person to person. But sometimes a position is
only worth so much money to a given employer. You can either accept
it, or move on to other things. Bashing the company in question and
suggesting a pseudo mutiny witin the industry is not going to change
things. If anything, it helps to perpetuate the growing feeling that
"computer people" are over paid prima donnas. Next thing you know,
you'll be calling for a damn union.

That said, $20/hr for an out of state contract is patently absurd.

--
Jonathan