[ale] SSL-based VPNs (OpenVPN) vs IPSec

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 24 20:54:42 EST 2005

My #1 problem with IPSec is how it has to be used.  I have two devices
that needs a tunnel between them.  Both devices are behind a NAT
Firewall.  They do not have a public interface.  This is where IPSec is
useless.  IPSec requires that these devices have public interfaces.  In
my case I can only use a SSL based VPN like Vtun.  There are not any
other options.

Maybe I'm wrong about IPSec but based on what I've read it can't be
natted.  It has to be on a public interface.