[ale] SSL-based VPNs (OpenVPN) vs IPSec

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Feb 24 19:03:50 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:06 -0500, M Raju wrote:
> I have been thinking of playing with OpenVPN and convert my existing
> setup at home which comprises of mainly an IPSec VPN for WiFi/External
> access - OpenBSD Firewall/Access Point running (ISAkmpd), Racoon on OS
> X and OpenSWAN for Linux.

> Anyone prefer SSL over IPSec? Found an interesting paper on OpenVPN Security ->

> http://www.sans.org/rr/papers/20/1459.pdf

	Personally, I would avoid an ssl based VPN like the plague.  There is
no "perfect forward secrecy" or rekeying and the session keys can be
determined from the PKI authentication keys (in other words, if you
compromise the key from either end, you can decrypt the traffic, which
is not the case with IPSec w/ PFS and Diffie-Hellman).

> _Raju

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/