[ale] OT:Apple XServe and non-Apple Storage Arrays

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:55:45 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:10:06 -0500, Greg Freemyer
<greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your question, but I understand the Xserve
> has some major limitations when it comes to multi-pathing, failover,
> load-sharing, etc..
>
> I've forgotten the details, but something about the 2 io cards in the
> Xserve not being redundant.  i.e. IIRC the first io card can only
> handle luns n thru m, and the second io card can only handle luns m
> thru o.  If one of the io cards fail you simply lose the luns
> associated with it????

That's exactly why I am so upset about apple's confusing product
names. When I say XServe I am referring to the actual SERVER, not the
XServe RAID. We have dropped the XServe RAID from consideration for
exactly the reasons you mentioned. It appears that the XServe RAID is
the only storage solution that the XServe (SERVER) will work with.
That is what I am looking for confirmation on.

--
Jonathan