[ale] AOL email

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 22 11:21:43 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:48 -0500, Michael Trausch wrote:

> They also refuse to take mail from arbitrary sites now, that they
> deem "not professionally owned".  They also drop mail that appears
> to contain anything "bad" - their spam filter isn't very smart.

Not very smart is an understatement! From the headers, they are using
MailScanner. That is good if it is configured better. It looks like all
they have done is install it on a bunch of their servers and turn in on
in default mode (which won't allow much of anything to go through and it
doesn't identify the mailserver that did the processing).

The problem on my end is the number of "professional" communications
from AOL to my clients. With AOL blocking the email out of poor design,
my client can't do his communicating with AOL users. The AOL users are
_not_ computer savvy enough to migrate to anything else so I get the
support calls (which I can do nothing about).

This last round was an AOL user trying to send a series of documents
concerning a trade show to my client. Bad for business if the email
won't flow.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>