[ale] NAS in Linux/windows network

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 21 00:10:09 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 22:54 -0500, Pete Hardie wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:16:06 -0500, James P. Kinney III
> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 17:49 -0500, Pete Hardie wrote:
> > > Due to impending disk failure on the wife's laptop, I'm considering
> > > some form of external HD, so that she can keep her important files
> > > somewhere that can be accessed from more than just one machine.
> > > Anyone have pointers to NAS or such? - I've got USB external drives as
> > > a possibility, but they are not  accessible from 2+ machines at once,
> > > and so I'm interested in some form of network drive
> >
> > rsync is your friend! Just put the external drives on an accessible
> > machine and use rsync to keep a backup of critical areas.
>
> I had started down that road , but the laptop is M$.  I've thought
> about putting a VFAT or NTFS partition and running Samba, but I was
> unable to get Samba working last year trying to get a printer shared.
> I'll look into rsync for the linux side, though.

There are several tools to get rsync onto a M$ box.

> Yeah, I'm trying to get the wife off M$ products, and if it weren't
> for Quicken and the digital camera support, I'd succeed.

I have had very good luck with the digital camera support under Fedora
3. I rarely plug the camera in, just the compact flash card. The
automount stuff in FC3 makes it a breeze for a non-admin to access the
CF card.

Quicken is another story. There is still a vmware/win98 setup just for
quicken. (gag!). Moneydance is looking better and better. I have not
tinkered with migrating multiple accounts from Quicken to Moneydance
with success yet. It looks like the export all won't work. I need to do
the export each %^#%)^ account one at a time process.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>