[ale] NAS in Linux/windows network

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:00:35 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:16:06 -0500, James P. Kinney III
<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 17:49 -0500, Pete Hardie wrote:
> > Due to impending disk failure on the wife's laptop, I'm considering
> > some form of external HD, so that she can keep her important files
> > somewhere that can be accessed from more than just one machine.
> > Anyone have pointers to NAS or such? - I've got USB external drives as
> > a possibility, but they are not  accessible from 2+ machines at once,
> > and so I'm interested in some form of network drive
>
> rsync is your friend! Just put the external drives on an accessible
> machine and use rsync to keep a backup of critical areas.

I had started down that road , but the laptop is M$.  I've thought
about putting a VFAT or NTFS partition and running Samba, but I was
unable to get Samba working last year trying to get a printer shared.
I'll look into rsync for the linux side, though.

Yeah, I'm trying to get the wife off M$ products, and if it weren't
for Quicken and the digital camera support, I'd succeed.

--
Better Living Through Bitmaps