[ale] Keeping pppoe alive

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sun Feb 20 14:31:02 EST 2005

Hi All,

I have seen this issue in here before but could not locate it. I am
using Speedfactory for my dsl service. Every now and then I will lose my
connection. Since this machine is the internet router for other boxes I
am looking for a way to restart the connection when it dies without
intervention from me or anyone else. From what I can tell when this
happens the pppd daemon remains alive. Usually I will have to take ppp0
and the ethernet adapter down and bring them back up manually. Sometimes
I even have to resort to a reboot :-( This is a Debian Sarge box using
Roaring Penguin for the pppoe connection. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Seymour
--
Windows is open sores - subjecting to recurrent festering infections. eewwww
Linux is open source - subject to recurrent scrutiny of hackers. aawwww