[ale] [OT] I just bought an iBook, what now

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Feb 17 23:24:59 EST 2005

[...]

    Nathan> easy), and I have 2 user accounts setup on it.  My
    Nathan> question is, what now?  Are there any 'standard apps' that
    Nathan> you guys can suggest?

Here's what I've been getting set up on the new Macs we've been
getting at work:

Quicksilver:  http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/  GET THIS.  If you get
nothing else, get this.

While iChat's fine for AIM, Adium X (adium.sourceforge.net) will
connect to just about anything (it sits on top of gaim, basically)

Virtue (virtuedesktops.sourceforge.net) gives X-like virtual
desktops.  There's also Desktop Manager (can't remember the URL) which
isn't as spiffy but is a bit more mature.

SSHKeychain(.org) manages ssh-agent and SSH identities with the OS X
keychain security mechanism.

iTerm(.sourceforge.net) gives a KDE konsole-esque Terminal
replacement.

Konfabulator(.com) is commercial but there's some interesting desktop
widgets.  Apple's actually got something similar coming in Tiger.

Platypus (google for it :) lets you make apps you can drop files onto
from the Finder out of shell/Perl/Ruby/Python/et al scripts.

fletch at phydeaux.org|  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'